Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Takeaway 1

What really resonated with me yesterday in class was the photo that is posted on the class homepage. 

“Can you remember who you were before the world told you who you should be?”

Well, can you?  I’m not so sure I can remember anymore.  For as long as I remember I was always told there was only one way to my future and that was it.  No other options.  Absolutely nothing.  This future contained: high school graduation, attendance of a four year university, graduation of said four year university, and employment at some firm with a nine to five desk job earning a six figure salary.  I can remember talking about the plans I had for my life and being shot down when the occupation weren't up to my mother’s standards concerning monetary value.  Hey guys, guess what?  I don’t care what my future salary is going to be.  The one concern I have that has any pertinence to my future is my happiness.  As long as I’m happy I don’t care if I’m the poorest person out there or the richest person out there.  Money doesn't have anything to do with one’s happiness.

Sadly this is not the mindset of today and it probably has quite a bit to do with why I can’t remember who I wanted to be or my dreams and ambitions before my future had any real importance.  I’m sure that I’m not the only one out there that feels this way.  How much of an impact money has on people and they don’t even know it?  What would our world be like if there were more people out there living new and different lifestyles?  Lifestyles that would be preposterous in today’s society?  It would be interesting to see a world like that; to live in a world where you are completely and utterly free to make your own choices and follow your dreams without any pressure to fit today’s “norm”.

No comments:

Post a Comment