Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Takeaway 4

Something that really stuck with me during class was when we were talking about how we (Americas) are pretty sheltered from the outside world.  We really are.  And I would wager most of us don't even know it.  None of our news stations that talk about anything of importance concerning our own country, let alone foreign affairs, are extremely biased.  Nothing is unbiased, true news anymore.  To get any real information about what's going on in the world you need to tune in to a foreign news station.  I think it's ridiculous.

I feel like being a sheltered nation is hurting us.  All we know about the world is what our news channels tell us.  Most of us are too lazy to go ahead and look up this information from a reputable news source so we take everything at face value and don't question it, and I find this is extremely frustrating to me.  With better informed citizens I feel like we could become even a greater nation and be able to make better decisions as a whole, but until then I don't believe we will stay on top for much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment