Monday, February 16, 2015

Takeaway 5

The drawing activity we did at the beginning of the class was interesting.  While most people that spoke up agreed that the activity was stressful, I found that the activity was pretty relaxing.  Don't get me wrong, it was full of uncertainty and it was slightly uncomfortable, but ultimately I found it to be relaxing.

Which is weird if I really think about it because all this time I've felt solace in controlling everything I do.  Normally being in control is comforting, but this activity where I didn't have any control kind of opened my eyes to a whole new side of things that I can explore.

Control doesn't have to be everything.  We were talking today in class about how some of the best work people have created was when they had let go of everything and just let it be what it was meant to be.  I think there is a lot of truth in that thinking.  For me, having control is something I enjoy, but at the same time a massive amount of stress normally comes with it.  But on the other side of the coin, not having control was uplifting and really enjoyable actually.  I feel like I need to relinquish control of things more often and let things be and if it turns out in my favor then great, I'll keep it; if it doesn't turn out in my favor, I'll go back and retry it with minimal control added and see if I can receive a different outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment